Saturday 21 June 2014

How To Date A Nerd - Cassie Mae

Zac is everything I love from a love interest in a young adult novel. I wish I could say the say the same about the other main character Zoe. Zac is kindhearted and would do anything for the people he loves. Zoe on the other hand only cares about fitting in at school.

I'm sure most people can at least somewhat relate to this book. It follows the story of Zoe who is struggling with a dual identity. She loves nothing more than to speak Elvish whilst reading an X-Men book. Unfortunately speaking Elvish is not the way to get into the popular crowd at school so she changes who she is much to her neighbour Zak's dismay. Zak, who is known as King Dork at school, was Zoe's best friend when she was still openingly into geeky things. In the process of becoming popular Zoe says some horrible hurtful words to Zak which causes them to not be friends. However, when Zoe needs help learning how to drive a manual car, Zak is the only one who can help her. Slowly but surely Zoe learns the important life lesson of being herself. 

I really enjoyed reading the story itself. Many will be able to relate to the struggles of fitting in at school. Zoe however takes fitting in to the extremes and says some very nasty things to the people who love her the most. A trait which I find makes her very unlikable and I find it astonishing that she is forgiven so easily for her actions and the things that she says. 

I'm giving this book 3 stars out of 5. Although I really did enjoy the storyline of the book I just disliked Zoe too much to give it a higher rating. I think however I may be a little older than the target age audience for this book. For a reader who is at high school and struggling with pressures of becoming popular I would recommend this book. Although Zoe is horrible most of the way through in the end she does what is the right thing and I feel younger readers would benefit from reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment