Monday 2 May 2016

Like A Virgin - Paige Nick

Honestly, when I read the synopsis of this book I knew that it would be one of those books that is like marmite, I was either going to absolutely love it or hate it. I was pleasantly surprised that after reading Like A Virgin by Paige Nick, that I have tossed this book in my loved books pile.

Grace Hendriks lives a pretty average life. She’s passed her training to become a teacher, she’s engaged to her long term boyfriend and are planning the perfect wedding together, she barely every toes out of line. Grace’s sister, Natalie on the other hand is the complete opposite and spends her days earning money by being a Rihanna impersonation. Unfortunately, one day Natalie breaks her leg so she can’t fly to Amsterdam to be Rihanna at a club and begs Grace to take her place as she also bares an uncanny resemblance to the singer and Natalie desperately needs the money to pay for her education. Grace lies to her fiancĂ© about why she is going to Amsterdam and before you know it she’s on a plane pretending to be her sister. It doesn’t take long for Grace to realise that the job Natalie does it actually a stripper and is thrown straight into the deep end.

I’ve never read a book like, Like A Virgin before. Grace is somewhat uptight and she would never, ever in a million years voluntary go to be a stripper in a seedy Amsterdam club. I think a lot of people will be able to relate to Grace’s reluctance to step out of her shell which makes the book only more enjoyable. The fact that even though stripping is completely against her morals, the thought that doing it would earn money to help her sister is enough to make her continue. Her loyalty to her family is a wonderful trait. She is a great character to read about.

I read Like A Virgin in a day. I became completely and utterly obsessed; it was just so engaging I could not put it down. I found the story fascinating and it had so many twists and turns that I think no one would be able to see coming. Grace’s fellow impersonators such as Paris Hilton, Marilyn Monroe and Madonna also make the book fantastic. They provide humour when needed but at the same time the book offers some serious moments. I know that I personally have quite a negative view of strippers so it’s quite fascinating to read about how they are just normal people trying to earn money, they all turn out to be incredible friends to Grace as well.   

For me, Like A Virgin was a real page turner and an eye opener about the world of stripping. The storyline came as a complete shock to me particularly towards the end. It made me laugh, it made me shocked, it was just a great all round book. A must read.

Synopsis –

Hilarious, sassy, fresh and at times completely outrageous, this is an utterly unputdownable feel-good debut from Paige Nick.

Grace Hendriks has led a pretty sheltered life. So when her sister Natalie begs Grace to take her place as a Rihanna impersonator at a seedy club in Amsterdam, she has no idea what she’s letting herself in for . . . until she ends up onstage with only a pole for support and her lacy knickers in a knot!

Thrown into strip-club life, and forced to share an apartment with an exotic troupe of impersonating divas with Lady Gaga-sized egos, Grace has to learn some hard lessons fast. One: living with Marilyn Monroe and Madonna isn’t easy. And two: transformations don’t happen overnight – especially when your bra is determined to sabotage your dance routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment