Saturday 24 January 2015

Rock Stars Don't Like Big Knickers - Nikki Ashton

The main reason I downloaded this book was because the title really made me laugh. I’m really disappointed to say that the title was the best part of the book in my opinion. I’ve read another book by Nikki Ashton before and it wasn’t really my thing either but I had high hopes from this one due to the title.
Rock Stars Don’t Like Big Knickers tells the story of Martha and Luke. Martha is just a normal woman who takes a housekeeping job in the mansion her tiny cottage lays in the grounds of. Little does she know that this particular mansion has just been purchased by lead singer of Dirty Riches, Luke. Martha had a huge crush on Luke at school so naturally she is thrilled when Luke starts to flirt with her.
The story is one that I would’ve loved usually but I just hated the characters and the relationships between them. Luke’s actions at certain points in the book were just unforgivable to me and I can’t believe how easily Martha kept on taking him back despite her being introduced as a strong character. I just feel as they Luke was intentionally wrote as a stereotypical rock star and even if he redeems himself somewhat at the end I really hope that no one can be that much of an idiot. I don’t know if it’s the fact that I’m younger than them but I couldn’t really warm to either Luke or Martha, I just didn’t enjoy reading about them. Perhaps if a book was wrote about Martha’s daughter Betty and her relationship with Luke’s nephew Noah I would’ve enjoyed it more even if I found it completely weird how they were all dating each other.  
What I like the most about reading about relationships in the public eye is that element of realness which makes it more relatable for me. The realness that came with this story just didn’t make it believable enough for me. I just found all the things that happened so farfetched making it difficult for me to read. 
I think this book is a lot like marmite, you’re either going to love it or hate it. I think the story plot was great so if you can warm but the characters I think this book is going to be a winner for you, just unfortunately it wasn’t for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment