Saturday 4 July 2015

My Secret Rockstar Boyfriend - Eleanor Wood


I’ve seen My Secret Rockstar Boyfriend by Eleanor Wood be mentioned rather a lot on Twitter the past week or so. The title sounded just like the type of book that I’d love so I couldn’t resist giving it a read. Unfortunately the book isn’t quite like the title suggests its going to be and the love interest between the main character, Tuesday and rockstar Jackson Griffith, barely even crosses the more than friends line. 
The book focuses on blogger Tuesday. She loves to write and that is what she wants to do more than everything. However, other than her mum, boyfriend and best friend no one ever reads her blog so when one day she unexpectedly gets a comment from a poster calling themselves Jackson Griffith, a rockstar she had a massive crush on when she was younger, it’s safe to say she was a little bit excited. Her friends and boyfriend, understandably, don’t believe that the comments are being left by the real Jackson Griffith and are very quick to burst Tuesday’s bubble. However, Tuesday completely believes that it is him so ends up emailing Jackson who sends her a photo of himself reading her blog which is undeniable proof that he is the real deal. Tuesday is currently in the middle of her final year of A Levels so can’t afford a distraction right now but Jackson does just that. 
What’s refreshing about this book is that Tuesday isn’t the stereotypical main character. She is completely quirky and is very much aware of her future and the dangers of meeting a stranger from the internet which makes the book a much more enjoyable read. However, I didn’t enjoy the other characters in the book. Tuesday’s best friend, Nishi, is the worst friend to her and her boyfriend Seymour isn’t much better. Seymour comes from a different background to Tuesday and his parents just think that Tuesday isn’t good enough for their son to be dating. Seymour doesn’t have any sweet, caring moments with Tuesday and I really don’t know how they got together in the first place so it’s no wonder she ditches them both for a guy who writes nice comments on her blog. However, Jackson was known for being an alcoholic and drug addict and his influence threatens to ruin Tuesday’s future which makes me dislike him.
However, despite this I found the book to be an easy read, with it effortlessly blending the realms of reality and the fantasy world that normally only lives in daydreams. Having a blog myself makes it much more realistic to imagine how I’d react if my favourite musician commented on my blog. I’ve also attended Glastonbury Festival a few times myself and of course I remember doing my A Levels so those settings too made it so much more relatable. 
This book wasn’t completely my cup of tea but that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy reading. I completely judged this book by its title to begin with so perhaps my mistake was expecting to read a story completely different to what it turned out to be about. Even when I got to grips with what the story was about I was just expecting something more, though I’m not entirely sure what. Personally I think this book is perhaps for a more teenage audience. I hated Tuesday’s friends but if you can get past that, the settings, music references and some of the meetings with Jackson is what makes My Secret Rockstar Boyfriend great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment