Thursday 11 February 2016

When Everything Feels Like The Movies - Raziel Reid

When Everything Feels Like The Movies tells the story of Jude aka Judy. He pretends his life is like a movie to get through the traumas of his day to day life but unfortunately his life is difficult.

Truthfully I've never read a LGBT book before but I loved the blurb so much that I knew I just had to give it a read. I didn't gel with the characters at all. Although some of the things the main character Jude goes through are truly horrendous I just didn't like him enough to care. He's a well written character I just unfortunately found it difficult to connect with him which made it a real effort at times to pick up my kindle and read more. 

I so badly wanted to like this book. I've heard so many people rave about it lately but unfortunately it just wasn't for me. A lot of discussions are happening as of late about this book which can only be a good thing with the topics that it is based around. If you read the blurb and think it sounds like your kind of book you should give it a read, I like this book is like marmite, you'll either absolutely love it or won't be fond. However, the themes around the book are simply wonderful and it's fantastic to have a book that highlights the struggles LGBT individuals have on a daily basis. 

Synopsis -

School is just like a film set: there's The Crew, who make things happen, The Extras who fill the empty desks, and The Movie Stars, whom everyone wants tagged in their Facebook photos. But Jude doesn't fit in. He's not part of The Crew because he isn't about to do anything unless it's court-appointed; he's not an Extra because nothing about him is anonymous; and he's not a Movie Star because even though everyone know his name like an A-lister, he isn't invited to the cool parties. As the director calls action, Jude is the flamer that lights the set on fire.

Before everything turns to ashes from the resulting inferno, Jude drags his best friend Angela off the casting couch and into enough melodrama to incite the paparazzi, all while trying to fend off the haters and win the heart of his favourite co-star Luke Morris. It's a total train wreck!

But train wrecks always make the front page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment