Sunday 28 February 2016

Glass Sword - Victoria Aveyard

I have been desperate to read the sequel to Red Queen every since I finished reading it. Thankfully Glass Sword does not disappoint although on again the author, Victoria Aveyard has left me desperate to read the next book in the series.

Glass Sword picks up exactly where Red Queen finishes. It may be worth have a quick read through Red Queen again just to bring you back up to speed as it took me a few chapters to get back into the story. Everything is different in Glass Sword. For one we are now following the Scarlett Guard around the world rather than staying within the perimeters of the castle. We're finally visiting the places that the silvers made Mare study in book one and they’re all such fascinating, well written worlds.  

Mare changes a lot in this book and frankly it isn't for the better. I would've liked to have read more about Cal than Mare this time around as her changes irritated me at times. People seemed to forget that Cal is the exiled prince and although his blood may be silver, they want him dead just as much as Mare. I feel that at points in this book I would’ve really enjoyed reading from Cal’s point of view, I genuinely emphasised with him more in this book than Mare at times. Glass Sword has a distinct lack of Maven, so I’m very excited at the prospect of him appearing more in future books, especially from the ending of this book.

I absolutely love this series of books but in my opinion I do prefer book one, Red Queen. Although Glass Sword still made me experience every emotion that Mare did, Red Queen completely tore me apart emotionally and I just didn’t feel such emotion with this book – but that doesn’t mean it isn’t an enjoyable book! If you loved Red Queen, you will still absolutely love Glass Sword and I can guarantee it will leave you with desperation to read the next book in the series. 

Synopsis -  

If there's one thing Mare Barrow knows, it's that she's different.
Mare's blood is red - the color of common folk - but her Silver ability, the power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control.

The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from the prince and friend who betrayed her, Mare uncovers something startling: she is not the only one of her kind.
Pursued by the Silver king, Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red-and-Silver fighters to join in the struggle against her oppressors.

But Mare finds herself on a deadly path, at risk of becoming exactly the kind of monster she is trying to defeat. Will she shatter under the weight of the lives that are the cost of rebellion? Or have treachery and betrayal hardened her forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment