Sunday 28 August 2016

The Graces - Laure Eve


I didn’t actually choose to read The Graces myself; it was one of the books that came as part of the August Illumicrate book subscription box. However, when I got the book out of the box and read the blurb I was very excited to add it to near the top of my to read pile. Well, I’ve just finished reading The Graces and I loved it.
River starts a new school and quickly discovers the Grace family. The Grace family are the town’s local legends with rumours swirling around the town about the entire family being witches. They keep themselves to themselves at school but every blue moon they invite someone to be their friend, this person is River. She doesn’t know what she’s done to capture their attention but she soon finds herself absorbs into the Grace families life, something that very few people have managed to do. 
The story itself is very similar to Twilight. Untouchable supernatural family who lets in a normal person into their house and into their secrets? Yes I’ve read similar stories before, did it matter? Not at all. I actually liked the Twilight novels except the love story in it started to bug me a little. The Graces is pretty much absent from any major love interest for River and I liked that. The story grabbed my attention from the beginning and it was an absolute page turner. I started the book this morning and have just sat since reading until I finished, I just had to know how the book was going to end! Personally I found the book not overly predictable and although I had a hunch towards what was going to happen towards the end it still came as a surprise when it did. At times the story did get a little monotonous but stay with the book! Believe me by the end few chapters, like me you’ll be begging for the next book to be released. 
The characters on the whole were enjoyable to read about even if some, particularly good looking, charming Fenrin Grace were very clichéd. Personally I wasn’t so keen on main character River, I didn’t like the fact that everything she did was so overly thought through and she was just so desperate to remain in the Grace families inner circle. However, I still enjoyed reading about her regardless.   
If you liked books such as Twilight but are looking for a book with a bit more to it than a love story then you must pick up The Graces. It will keep you hooked from beginning to end!

No comments:

Post a Comment