Sunday 10 May 2015

Crushed - Dawn Rae Miller

Crushed by Dawn Rae Miller is a brilliant book. Fletch Colson is a rich teenager at a boarding school, who sleeps around, drinks and on the odd occasion does drugs which is family think is fine as his dad did the same when he attended the same school. Plus anything Fletch does wrong, his dad is very influencial so just takes care of any trouble caused. Despite all this he is very smart and is aiming for attending a top college. Fletch sleeps around so much his friends think that it is impossible for him to just be friends with a girl so they make a bet with him that he can’t just be friends and they have to pick the girl. Even childhood friend Calista, can’t escape from Fletch’s ways. This is where Ellie comes into things, she is the girl chosen for Fletch to be friends with. Of course Ellie is attractive therefore someone who Fletch would normally go for. However, even if Fletch doesn’t even know if he’s able to do this but he really wants to prove everyone wrong and remain only friends with Ellie.

This book was a complete surprise for me. When I first started reading I really expected myself to despise Fletch due to his womanizing ways but I actually really liked him as a character. Admittedly at the beginning of the book I wanted to slap Fletch and his friends on multiple occasions but bare with it, I assume you it'll be worth it! You have to know how much of a womaniser he was to appreciate his friendship with Ellie. I also expected the story to just focus on Fletch’s inability to not sleep with every female he looks at but really the book is so much than that. The real struggle Fletch has when he discovers not only his family’s secret but also Calista’s turned the book into a real page turner for me. I ended up completely admiring him for the decisions he ultimately made. I thought that he was very well written and for me it was a refreshing read as I don’t often read from the male perspective. 
I really enjoyed reading Crushed and I’m so excited about the fact that it has a sequel set further in the future that is told from Ellie’s perspective. I can’t wait to find out what happens to all of the main characters. Crushed is so much more than other books of a similar story, I found that it had multiple messages throughout. I would definitely recommend reading this book, however before you read it is a more mature young adult book!
Synopsis - 
Having it all has never been so hard.

For eighteen-year-old serial womanizer Fletch Colson, life is a game and if he plays by the rules, he’ll win it all: his dream college, his parents’ money, and a hot (if a little vapid) girl on his arm. Really, it couldn’t be easier. All he has to do is get good grades, live a privileged life, and try not to mess up too much.

However, when he accepts the seemingly impossible bet to change his ways and be “just friends” with smart, beautiful, tempting Ellie Jacobs – a girl who turns his world inside out – Fletch discovers his perfect life isn’t so wonderful.

As family secrets begin tumbling out, what once seemed simple and clear, no longer feels right, and Fletch must decide if winning it all  is worth losing a piece of himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment