Saturday 23 January 2016

Bookishly Ever After - Isabel Bandeira


Ever since I first heard about Bookishly Ever After I instantly added it on to my must read book pile. A book about a girl was is obsessed with books and wouldn't mind her real life being like the stories she's read it books? I'm pretty sure any avid reader can relate to this already! 

Bookishly Ever After is about Phoebe. Phoebe, like many readers of this book, love reading and always tries to read the latest releases. If she’s not reading you’ll find her knitting or practicing her archery skills. Then thanks to a little encouragement from her friend she starts noticing that her friend Dev is cute and tries to impress him using advice from her favourite novels.

I loved Phoebe. I thought she was a completely relatable character. From when she has her head in a book at school blissfully unaware of people around her to when she's queuing in full cosplay to meet her favourite author, it's all relatable. I particularly like the fact that she embraces her quirkiness and doesn’t have an issue with it, like many characters in young adult books do.  I found her character a consistently enjoyable read as she fumbles though trying to impress Dev. I thought her love interest, Dev, was a great read too. He is a theatre and band geek who also is pretty good at survival skills – basically he was just a perfect match for Phoebe.

Perhaps at times the storyline got a little repetitive. Phoebe tries to channel her favourite book characters on to herself, her and Dev flirt but nothing ever happens. Maybe some of the book could've been cut slightly? I know I may have somewhat skim read a few of the chapters. However, I loved reading about Phoebe when she went to camp, from then on in the book I truly could not put it down! There was some just downright adorable moments between Phoebe and Dev at summer camp which for me completely made the book.

Interestingly Bookishly Ever After slots in mini chapters of Phoebe's favourite book in between. I could've done without them being there as I was just dying to know if Phoebe and Dev’s relationship would ever turn into something more than friends but it made the book unique. I think that it is an interesting idea to put them in as it’s like you’re reading Phoebe’s books along with her, whilst you’re reading a book about Phoebe.

It’s not one of the stand out books that I’ve read but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy reading Bookishly Ever After. It is the author’s debut novel and I’m very keen to read more of her work. If you’re an avid reader this book is most certainly for you, I can assure you that you’ll be able to relate to Phoebe and you’ll completely enjoy reading Bookishly Ever After.

Synopsis –
In a perfect world, sixteen-year-old Phoebe Martins’ life would be a book. Preferably a YA novel with magic and a hot paranormal love interest. Unfortunately, her life probably wouldn’t even qualify for a quiet contemporary. But when Phoebe finds out that Dev, the hottest guy in the clarinet section, might actually have a crush on her, she turns to her favorite books for advice. Phoebe overhauls her personality to become as awesome as her favorite heroines and win Dev’s heart. But if her plan fails, can she go back to her happy world of fictional boys after falling for the real thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment