Wednesday 11 October 2017

Don’t Tell The Groom - Anna Bell

I’ve had this review saved as a daft for a couple of years and I have absolutely no idea why I never posted it. As it’s 9:30pm and I’ve completely forgot about today’s Blogtober I figured I would post this!


Review - 



I'll be the first to admit that the two reasons that I chose to read this book is because it has a stunning cover and because I love the television show Don't Tell The Bride. Don't Tell The Groom is somewhat loosely based on the television show.


Mark and Penny have been in a relationship together for a very long time and have been saving for their wedding day long before Mark had even asked Penny to be his wife. The idea was that when it was time to get married they'd be able to have the wedding of Penny's dreams - complete with a Vera Wang wedding dress and Jimmy Choo shoes. In an attempt to boost the wedding fund more, Penny plays online bingo. Once Mark pops the question it is quickly discovered that Penny has gambled away £10,000 worth of the wedding fund leaving just £5000 worth of money to plan Penny's dream wedding that would rival Kim Kardashian's. In an attempt to keep her gambling hidden away Penny adopts a Don't Tell The Groom style strategy and plans the entire wedding herself cheaply so her accountant fiancé doesn't find out about her gambling. 


I absolutely love the idea behind this book. I find the storyline a great idea and I wished I’d thought of writing this book myself! 


I find it very difficult to relate to Penny in this book which is my only real problem with it. Despite this I did find it enjoyable to read and it made me chuckle at some of Penny's slightly desperate attempts at trying to plan her wedding cheap. Penny even goes to the extent of taking a flower arranging course to arrange her own flowers for the wedding in order to save money! I finished this book very quickly so if you're looking for a book that's a reasonably quick read I would recommend it. 


Synopsis -


Penny has big dreams for her wedding day. She wants an unforgettable celebration, perfect down to the last detail, and has been saving for ages to make her dream a reality. When Mark finally pops the question, it's the best moment of her life. Until Penny checks her wedding fund and is horrified to discover that something has gone terribly wrong. There's far less money there than she'd thought, and it's all her fault. She can't tell Mark the truth about what she's done . . . her only choice is to get married on a drastically smaller budget. 

Working under the pretence of surprising Mark with her plans on their big day, operation 'Don't Tell the Groom' rolls into action, with surprising, hilarious and moving results. Will Penny be able to keep her secret long enough to say 'I do'?

No comments:

Post a Comment